Monday, January 17, 2011

Does it take a village?

Anyone who has ever tried to lose weight knows the importance of a support system. For success to happen, you must surround yourself with people who have your best interests at heart. Friends who cheer you on when you finally leap over that plateau; family that beams with pride when you walk into a room.

A group mentality of hope nearly always overrides a singular cry of doubt. I've blogged about how fans of Bo Bice are coming together to participate in The Biggest LoserPound for Pound Challenge. Separately, we've all tried to lose weight for years - like most everyone else in the country. Together, we are doing it. It's the group mentality of "WE CAN DO THIS"!

In my blog Broadcast Motivation, I neglected to mention a new show called Village on a Diet. The tiny town of Taylor, British Columbia has banded together to get healthy. Each week they strive towards a common goal - to lose one ton in 10 weeks. The motivation they give each other is wonderful to see. Last week they climbed a huge hill on the outskirts of town as a community; literally and figuratively.

Everyone needs people to help them get up the hill. I know for myself, my weight-loss journey would've been infinitely more difficult without all of you. I know every person reading this is in my corner - what could be more motivating than that? If so many people think I'm worth having a long, healthy life then how can I argue? My friends - close by and far away - my family, my co-workers. I've been very lucky.

I've heard horror stories about husbands bringing home donuts to a dieting wife or a cousin pooh-poohing someone's agonizing but life-changing decision to have gastric bypass as "the easy way out". No one has ever done those things to me. I am extremely grateful for that.

However, lack of support can come from some surprising sources. When you do something this *BIG*, you tend to find out who your real friends are. Maybe they're not comfortable with you changing so much. Maybe they're afraid you'll find new friends and leave them behind. Or maybe they're just jealous. Try not to let it get you down.

A stellar support system is crucial but in the end, the discipline and hard work has to come from you. As Oprah Winfrey once said, "It's my ass on the treadmill!" Absolutely! Oprah's up-and-down dress sizes clearly illustrates that. No chef, trainer, cheerleader or surgical procedure can do it for you. All that can certainly help but it's really up to you to find it within yourself to decide you're worth the effort to get off the couch and into the gym; to put down the cupcake and pick up the apple.

So we do need support but never forget it's YOU who are doing this and YOU deserve the credit. You rock! Now pat yourself on the back and get your ass to the gym.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes a village, sometimes just a few close friends! I count my blessings when I think of all the good in my life. I'm blessed to have friends I can depend on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of women say their husbands/boy friends are very nervous when they lose weight, fearing they will lose them. Mine is always supportive like your Erich. However I do have a few friends, one in particular, who is not so supportive. I think it's because she likes being the "thinner one" and is very afraid all of a sudden she won't be. When we approach a booth in a restaurant with friends, if she says to me one more time "Do you want me to slide in first" I will scream "NO, I CAN FIT JUST AS WELL AS YOU, THANK YOU!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Deb! I'm also very lucky in the supportive family and friends department.

    Susan, I have a friend who is not as supportive as I thought she'd be. It hurts a lot and I wonder why - I think maybe she likes to be the 'thinner' one, too. I dunno. I mean...she still *is* thinner than me! LOL! I try to let it slide off my back.

    ReplyDelete